|address||Nungarin to Mukinbudin Road (14km N of Narrogin), Nungarin|
|lot||Lot 1-2 on C/T247/63A, Diag. 37676|
|function||agricultural and pastoral|
|wall||mud brick and rammed earth, other|
|summary||The building represents a style of building and rural habitation which, whilst not unique, is rapidly vanishing as similar buildings are allowed to fall into decay. It demonstrates the life-style of the early settlers and hard-ships which had to be overcome.|
|file||N general 1/6|
In circa 1874, Charles Frederick and Jane Swaine Adams left their property at Yarragin and moved to Mangowine. Adams constructed the first dwelling using mud bricks and other local materials. The walls were then plastered inside and out with mud plaster and painted with whitewash. The floors were stone flags set on the ground with some of the rooms having only mud floors. The initial cottage comprised a large kitchen which contained the open cooking fireplace with oven attached on the left hand side.
Apart from pastoral pursuits between 1879 and 1888, Adams was contracted to the Government to construct a number of wells along the track being used by settlers and prospectors. In 1888, Charles Glass (Jane Adams' father) discovered gold at Moujakine, 24km west of Mangowine, while building a dam. No further finds were made but at about the same time the Yilgarn Field at Southern Cross was proclaimed. The steady stream of prospectors encouraged Adams to enter the hotel business by erecting an Inn in 1889. A second building was erected in front of the original cottage, which continued to serve as living quarters for the growing family.
The Inn was constructed in random ashlar stonework with a rendered band at the top. At the same time a cellar was constructed alongside the Inn with a room above which may have also served as a bar. The Inn prospered until the railway was completed to Southern Cross in 1894 when business and trade declined and the Wayside Inn licence was relinquished. The property was turned over to agriculture and planted with wheat. With the death of Charles in 1895, Jane was left with 10 children. The family continued to occupy Mangowine and farm the property until after the death of Jane in 1934. At this time the property passed to other owners and gradually fell into decay.
In 1868, Olive Warwick (Jane's granddaughter) gave the property known as Mangowine to the National Trust of Australia (WA). Restoration work commenced in 1970 and the property was opened to the public in 1973.